Community Sanitation in Ecuador: Family Bathrooms Transform the Lives of Cojimies Residents
Family bathrooms have brought significant changes to the health of the population of the village of Cojimies in Ecuador.
14 November 2023
In Cojimies, a coastal village in the Canton of Pedernales in Ecuador, a major concern has long been the absence of a sewage system and adequate sanitation facilities, including toilets in peoples’ homes. This has led to a severe hygiene crisis, with serious consequences for public health and the quality of life of village’s citizens.
Family bathroom initiatives supported by the Foundation
Family bathrooms have brought significant change to Cojimies. Projects to build bathroom have taken place in different neighborhoods of the village over the years:
- Los Ceibos in 2014: A project was carried out in the Los Ceibos neighborhood to provide residents with access to dignified sanitary facilities.
- Pueblo Nuevo in 2015: This marked the first project to build family bathrooms. Its success started a movement to bring family bathrooms to other neighbourhoods.
- Venecia in 2019: The third project was carried out in the Venecia neighborhood, allowing 17 families to have their own bathrooms in their homes. The Foundation also built septic tanks for families who had toilets but did not have the financial means to build this essential infrastructure.
- Venecia in 2020: This last project, also carried out in the Venecia neighborhood, enabled 18 more families to have their own bathrooms.
17 Nov 2023
- The Roncalli International Foundation maintains valuable and longstanding relationships with...